ISO 45001 is a globally recognized standard for occupational health and safety management systems (OH&S). It provides a framework for organizations to manage the risks associated with workplace hazards and promote a safe and healthy working environment.
Clause 3 of ISO 45001 focuses on Terms & Definitions, which are essential to understanding the standard and implementing an effective OH&S management system.
List of Terms and Definitions in ISO 45001
Here is a list of some of the important terms and definitions that you should understand if you are working with or implementing the ISO 45001 standard.
- Accident: An unplanned event or occurrence that results in harm to people, damage to property, or loss of assets.
- Adequate: Sufficient, appropriate, or necessary for a specific purpose.
- Auditor: A person who is authorized to review and assess an organization's occupational health and safety management system to ensure compliance with ISO 45001.
- Continual Improvement: A practice aimed at consistently enhancing an organization's safety performance and processes.
- Employee: An individual who is directly or indirectly working for an organization or providing services under the control and direction of the organization.
- Hazard: A potential source of harm or adverse effect resulting from a hazardous situation identified from a risk assessment.
- Health and Safety Policy: A statement of an organization's commitment to safety and health, and outlining measures to establish and maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
- Management System: A framework used by an organization to manage processes and procedures that govern its operations.
- Nonconformity: The failure to comply with ISO 45001 requirements or a deviation from established policies or procedures.
- Occupational Health: A branch of medicine that focuses on the interrelationship of occupational factors and health.
- Risk: The potential for injury, illness, or damage to people, property, or an organization's reputation.
- Safety: The state of being free from hazards and risks that could cause harm or damage.
- Top Management: Senior management or individuals who have the authority to make decisions and allocate resources necessary to implement and maintain an OHSMS.
- Verification: The process of reviewing, checking, and evaluating an organization's occupational health and safety management system to ensure compliance with ISO 45001.
- Workplace: A location where work activities are performed, including any location where an employee performs work as part of their job.
Understanding the definitions and terms used in ISO 45001 is essential for effective implementation, maintenance, and continual improvement of an organization's occupational health and safety management system.
In conclusion, clause 3 of ISO 45001 is a vital section of the standard as it provides the fundamental language and definitions necessary for correct implementation, evaluation, and maintenance of an effective OHSMS. Organizations need to ensure that their staff understands the terms and definitions correctly and applies them in their work.